Introduction to the West Hanover Township Volunteer Fire Company
The West Hanover Township Volunteer Fire Company, better known as Company 36, is an all volunteer company that proudly protects the residents of West Hanover Township and neighboring communities. From its modest beginning in 1946 it has developed into a large fire company that currently has three stations and nine pieces of apparatus. During the first forty years, the company primarily provided engine services, but during the 1980’s it began specializing in rescue company operations and wildland firefighting.
Currently the company provides fire protection, rescue services, forestry fire protection, medical services, spill containment, and support services to the residents of the township and mutual aid to neighboring townships. The fire company has the responsibility of protecting approximately 18 square miles of Dauphin County. The 40 active firefighters and EMTs along with four engines, one heavy rescue, two brush trucks and three support vehicles do, as the company motto says, “Whatever It Takes” to save lives and property whenever there is an emergency. The West Hanover Township Volunteer Fire Company is very proud of what it does and will always continue to serve the residents of West Hanover and neighboring communities.
HISTORY OF WEST HANOVER TWP VOLUNTEER FIRE CO NO 1 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 –
The West Hanover Twp. Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1 as known today with three (3) stations and nine (9) pieces of apparatus all began in 1946. Several residents spent a day at the New Holland horse sale with plans to purchase some horses but instead came home with a used American LaFrance fire engine which was purchased by Mr. Harold Slepian.
Soon after the pumper arrived in West Hanover Twp, Mr. Slepian decided it was time to organize a fire company to protect the lives and property of the residents. The first meeting was held on October 21, 1946 at the Clarion Press Building located on the present North Hershey Road near the location where the Manada Hill Inn once stood. At this meeting, after a discussion on a name, it was agreed that it would be called the West Hanover Township Volunteer Fire Co. No.1. There were 18 charter members, all deceased to the best of my knowledge, who met on the second floor of the press building for about two years.
During this time the fire engine was stored in Mr. Slepian’s barn which was adjacent to the Clarion Press Building. My research found that this engine never responded to any alarms in West Hanover Township. In 1947 a 1936 International pumper was purchased from the Millersburg Fire Co., and was housed in the basement of Houck’s General Store on Rt. 39 approximately 2 miles west of the Clarion Press Building.
On November 22, 1948 an application for a Charter and Incorporation of the West Hanover Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1 was filed with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of State. On December 20, 1948 Judge J. Paul Rupp ordered and decreed that the application be approved. The members recorded on the Charter were Harold Slepian, Russell P. Hinkle, Joseph M. Polm, James Stokes, Robert E. Buck, John A. Oberholtzer, Lee H. Miller, D. A. Cadzow, John Carlson, Alfred Troland, Paul J. Snover, Edward Koller, George E. Coover, Clarence H. Megonnell, Stanley E. Megonnell, William Collis, Wilhelm Mehring and Jesse S. Lenker. The acting officers until the first meeting of the next year were President-Harold Slepian, Vice President-Jesse Lenker, Secretary-Joseph Polm and Treasurer-Robert E. Buck. Richard Walker was appointed to handle all legal matters of the organization. The first elected Fire Chief was Charles Zimmerman who also is deceased.
The newly incorporated fire company immediately became very active in fund raising to improve upon the services they were expected to provide. The first of many fund raisers were the Friday night movies and the Saturday night square dances. From 1950 until 1955 weekly movies and square dances were held in the basement of Houck’s store. The movies were shown by Ron Drake from Radio Station WHP. In 1950 the 1936 International Pumper was sold for $400.00, and a new Darley pumper was purchased for $6,800. The purchase was made with $1,000 of fire company funds, $3,000 donation from the Township Supervisors and a $2,800 interest free loan from John Houck, Sr. A garage was built on the west side of Houck’s store to house the new engine. The only cost to the fire company was $150.00 for the overhead door. $2,000 of the loan was paid in August of 1950 and the remaining $800.00 in August of 1951. West Hanover had the area’s first tank truck in 1952, when the township supervisors donated a Diamond T Chassis and a 2,000 gallon tank was installed on it with volunteer labor by the members.
Homes continued to be constructed and by 1953 it was evident that a permanent location for the fire company would have be found. Mr. & Mrs. John Houck, Sr. donated a parcel of land on Walnut Avenue and the new home was born. Construction of the fire station began almost immediately, and in 1954 a 10 HP siren was installed.
Construction of the original 50x80 station was completed in 1955 with donated labor at a cost of $20,000. The first fire company meeting in the new fire station was held on April 5, 1955. Prior to completion of the fire station, the company meetings were held in the basement of Houck’s store. In September the first mobile radio which was used to communicate with Dauphin County Dispatch was purchased and installed in the engine.
In 1956 tragedy struck the home of Densil Brady, one of our members, when it was destroyed by fire. The members of the fire company along with members of the Lions Club, without hesitation, went to work to rebuild his home. Within a span of two weeks in January, a new home sprung from the ashes to a home that was under roof with windows and doors installed.
From the time the original fire station was completed in 1955 there were several additions to the original fire station, 2 sub-stations were constructed, and many manhours of volunteer time were given in serving our community.
Additional pieces of fire apparatus were added to the fleet, and replacement of outdated apparatus has continued in order to properly protect our citizens when the need arises.
In 1962 a new 4 wheel drive Ford pickup was purchased and the membership installed a 200 gallon water tank, pump and hose reels, for a cost of $5.897.50. When the project was completed the fire company had a very functional piece of apparatus that could enter fields to extinguish grass fires. It was also capable of traveling the narrow dirt roads in the forest areas to extinguish brush and mountain fires. This was the areas first known brush truck.
In 1967 the original tank truck was sold to the Dauphin Fire Company, and was replaced with a used 1800 gallon stainless steel milk truck purchased from Harrisburg Dairies for $800.00.
As the township continued to grow in population there was a need for an addition to the fire station to better serve the community. In 1967 Mrs. John Houck, Sr. donated additional land so the fire station could be expanded. A two-story 20x40 addition which included a kitchen and game room was completed by year’s end. The game room gave the volunteers a place to meet to discuss fire company topics and exchange fire stories, but also a place to play cards, checkers and, yes, a challenge to claim the title of best pool shooter. Chief John Houck, Jr. and Rich Yingst were hard to beat. During the construction an emergency generator was installed to provide electricity during the time of power outage.
A bit of information from the past, in April 1969 Penn Central Oil Co. bid 14.1 cents per gallon to supply heating oil for the fire Station.
1970 brought further expansion. A new Hahn pumper with 750 gallon/minute pump and 750 gallon booster tank was purchased for $27,987.17.
Construction of new homes continued south of Rt. 22, and it became apparent there was a need to relocate the 1949 Darley to a fire sub-station south of Rt. 22. In 1970 the ideal location was found when former fire chief of Union Deposit, John H. W. Cassel, offered a two-car garage in Hanoverdale to the fire company rent free. The fire company accepted the offer and with minor modification we had a station #2 ideally located within the township. In 1971 the land and building in Hanoverdale were purchased from Mr. Cassel for $8,000 when it was offered for sale. A fire siren was installed at this location and at the Mt. Laurel Church. Also, in 1971 the entire exterior of Station #1 was bricked, and a new Ford chassis was purchased for the 1800 gallon tank truck at a cost of $11,507.05.
As time passed it was determined that there was a need for faster response time in the Fishing Creek Valley area of the township. A search was under way for a location of a new station. Chief John Houck located a parcel of land on top of the mountain across from the Mt. Laurel Church. The land was purchased in 1973 for $3500.
A second Hahn pumper with 750 gallon/minute pump and 750 gallon booster tank was purchased in 1976 at a cost, complete with equipment, of $58,323.33. A new 30x40 sub-station, Station #3 was completed at Mt. Laurel at a cost of $9,000 with donated labor. The 1949 Darley was transferred to this location to serve the northern part of the township, and the 1970 Hahn was transferred to the Hanoverdale location. A 21 x 63 ft. storage room was also added to station #1 during this year.
In 1978 because of the concern for their fire company and community, the late Fire Chief John Houck, Jr. and his wife, Arlene, donated, an 8 acre tract of land to the fire company. This land was presented to the fire company as a memorial to his parents, John H. and Mildred E. Houck and was to be known as Houck Memorial Park. A monument and plaque to this effect was erected at the Fire Station No.1 at 628 Walnut Avenue.
A 50 x 50 three bay engine room was added to station #1 in 1979 at a cost of $34,882.70. Equipment was provided by Lawrence Houck, masonary contractor and labor donated by fire company personnel. In 1980 a used 1965 Bruco pumper with 1,250 gallon/minute pump and 500 gallon booster tank was purchased from the Westwood Fire Co near Coatsville PA for $25,000 and was housed in Station #3.
A 36 x 42 steel building was constructed on the site of the original station in Hanoverdale in 1983. The new Station #2 was completely insulated, dry walled, painted and bath facilities were installed. Bingo was begun and was a major fund raiser until the Hollywood Casino opened in 2007. A 3600 gallon International tank truck was purchased for $18,000 from Kuntz & Son to supplement the other 1800 gallon tanker.We were the first fire company in Dauphin County to have two tankers in service simultaneously. Air conditioning was installed in the social hall and a new federal electronic siren was installed at station #1. In 1984 the 3600 gallon tanker was refurbished by 4 Guys Inc. Storage compartments and a 500 gallon/minute pump was installed for a cost of $11,800 .
A Junior Fire Fighter Program was implemented in 1984. The first junior fire fighters were Tim Shatto and Mark McCahan. Tim remained active and has served as Assistant Chief, Fire Chief and Township Fire Marshall. He is presently Fire Chief of the company. Mark choose to serve our country by joining the U. S. Coast Guard and remained active with the fire company when available. During his time in the U. S. Coast Guard he was active in the West Annapolis Fire Company. After serving 4 years in the U. S. Coast Guard he settled in Annapolis, Maryland and was an active fire fighter and EMT with the West Annapolis Fire Company.
In 1985 an Amkus rescue tool was purchased for $6500.00.
Eight additional Scott Air Packs and 9 spare cylinders were purchased in 1986. The 1800 gallon tanker was refurbished with new stainless steel tank, compartments and a 500 gallon/minute pump, by 4 Guys Inc at a cost of $30,895 and was housed at Station #3. Pagers were purchased and issued to members.
The first completely equipped , including 6.5 KW generator rescue truck was put in service in 1987. This was a 1973 Chevrolet, that after lengthy negotiations, was donated by River Rescue to the fire company. Also in 1987 3,000 feet of 5 inch hose was purchased for $16,590 and placed on the three engines.
A used Dodge van, that was used as a utility vehicle, was donated by Earl Hoffman Sr. The utility vehicle was put in service in 1989.
In February of 1990 a new Pierce Pumper with 6 man cab, 2,000 gallon/minute pump, 1,000 gallon booster tank, and 40 gallon foam tank was put in service. Cost of the new engine was $218,000. This pumper became the backbone of our firefighting force and was one of the best equipped engines in the state.
The 1990 Dauphin County Firemen’s Association Convention was hosted by the West Hanover Twp Fire Company. This proved to be one of our largest logistical challenges ever. Many hours of hard work and planning led to a very enjoyable convention. In fact, the success of this convention led the members to host the 1996 convention to commemorate our 50th Anniversary.
As our needs continued to grow, 1991 saw the addition of a new rescue truck. A 1979 Ford/Emergency One Rescue was purchased from the Levittown Fire Company for $60,000.00. This vehicle was refurbished by the members and many modifications were made. It was equipped with a 1000 gallon per minute pump, 300 gallons of water and a 100 gallon foam tank. This vehicle also serveed as a lighting unit and was equipped with a 12,000 watt diesel generator. The 1973 rescue truck was donated to the Reinerton Volunteer Fire Company which is located near Tower City.
Also arriving in 1991 was a new Amkus rescue unit, cutters and spreaders. This supplemented our existing rescue equipment and increased our vehicle rescue capabilities.
Our fire company enjoyed somewhat of a windfall in 1991. While attending the Firehouse Magazine Exposition in Baltimore, Bill Gross and Tim Shatto entered a drawing on behalf of the fire company. As luck would have it, Bill Gross’s name was drawn, and we were the lucky winners of the traffic control signals which are located on Rt. 39 near Devonshire Heights Road.
In April of 1992 the 1975 International Tanker was sold to the Limestown Fire Company for $44,534.00. The money received from this sale was used to pay off the loan on the 1990 Pierce.
In an ongoing effort to meet the increasing demands of development and progress, in November of 1993, a new pumper was purchased to replace the 1976 Hahn at Station #3. A 1993 International 4 Guys pumper was purchased for $142,000. This new pumper was equipped with a 1250 gallon per minute pump, a 1000 gallon tank and a diesel generator. This new engine greatly improved the fire protection in the “Piketown” and “Valley” areas of the township.
Also in 1993, the pump on Engine 36-2, the 1970 Hahn, was totally rebuilt and increased to a capacity of 1000 gallons per minute. Additional five inch large diameter hose was purchased making our total supply line capability just over one mile! (5,300 feet)
Station #1 social hall was renovated by the members in 1993. Noteworthy improvements were made to the ceiling, lighting, floor (by Houck & Company), and a stage was built.
A restoration project was started on the Brush Truck in late 1993. This vehicle was originally purchased in 1962 and was designed so well by the original committee that it is still one of the most functional brush units in the area. Thanks to the kind care given to this truck over its 30 years of service we were able to restore and upgrade the vehicle while minimizing total cost. Once again, the members contributed most of the labor for the project.
As our rescue needs continued to increase a need for high pressure air lifting bags was realized. After much consideration, a full complement of Maxiforce air bags were placed into service in 1994.
By 1994 the 1949 Pumper that was purchased in 1950 had been out of active service for some time and was being stored at the Hanoverdale Station # 2. The membership decided that it should be sold and first be offered for sale to a fire company member that submitted the highest bid. The member submitting the highest bid, which was accepted by the membership, was Neil Shatto.. The engine is still owned by Mr. Shatto who desires that the first new engine purchased by the fire company remains in the township for years to come.
1994 also saw the addition of another new vehicle to our fleet of emergency apparatus. A 1994 Ford F-350, 4-wheel drive, 4 door cab pickup was purchased for use as a medical assist and multi-purpose truck. This truck was a very welcome addition and has already proved its worth in many ways.
A comprehensive needs assessment was completed in 1994 and as a result the need for a new rescue vehicle was very clear. An overwhelming percentage of our alarms are rescue related and the capacity of the 1979 Emergency one has been well exceeded.
A computerized bingo calling system was installed in 1995 complete with a video monitoring system. Bingo now enters the age of automation.
Adding to the diversity of our fire company, we coordinated the development of a regional forest fire crew in 1995. This crew is comprised of 88 members from five different fire companies. This crew is known as the West Hanover Forest Fire Crew and serves the Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry in district #18. Our crew is very active and responds to fires throughout a large part of eastern Pennsylvania.
A new utility vehicle was placed into service in January of 1996. This 1989 Grumman step van replaced the 1989 Dodge van which exceeded its useful life. This new vehicle has a large cargo area and is set up to handle all types of fuel spills and will carry an array of support equipment. Again, this vehicle was purchased used and the majority of the labor was donated by the members of the fire company.
February 1997 the membership approval to sell the Engine 36-2 and Rescue 36-1 and use the money to purchase a new engine to replace Engine 36-2. Rescue 36-1, the 1979 Emergency One vehicle was sold to the Madison Fire Department in Madison N.Y.
Our first new heavy duty rescue truck, complete with the latest rescue tools was purchased and put in service in 1997. This unit is used for extraction of victims involved in automobile accidents, building collapse and any incident requiring rescue. A large number of calls for this unit is to respond to vehicle accidents on Interstate 81 in West Hanover, East Hanover and Lower Paxton Townships
In 1998 the loan for construction of Station #2 was paid in full. A memorial bell was installed outside the station at 628 Walnut Ave. The bell has since been relocated to the new station at 7624 Jonestown Road..
At the October 1998 meeting there was a discussion regarding the brush truck. Due to the addition of equipment it is now overloaded and is a safety concern when being driven on the highway. At the November meeting it was agreed to purchase a 1999 Ford F-350 regular cab diesel truck from Hoffman Ford. The new truck was delivered in December.
In 1999 a tank and pump skid unit was purchased for the new brush truck which was then put in service. Until it was decided what to do with the original brush truck it was being stored at Skip Wagner’s in Hanoverdale.
In December of 1999 the Township Board of Supervisors approved the land development and construction plans for construction of an addition to Station #3. In 2000 an additional engine bay, office/meeting room and new bathroom facilities were added to the Station.
When the addition to Station #3 was completed in June, the fire company purchased and put in service a new 2000 HME/Central States combination pumper /tanker. The cab can accommodate up to 6 firefighters and carry 1800 gallon of water. It carries the usual hand tools, ladders, a 2000 gallon porta-tank, medical supplies, AED and 1700 feet of 5 inch supply line. This new engine/tanker replaced an 18 year old Hahn Pumper and a 1972 Ford / 4 Guys Tanker. Cost of this Engine was $400,000.
In August of 2003 we purchased a new, 2004 Ford F-350 crew cab pickup with a Stahl Body. This Special Unit replaced the 1994 Ford which was converted to a fire police vehicle. The cab can carry up to 5 people and is used for medical assist calls and to transport additional manpower. It carries an AED, medical bag, oxygen, trauma bag and a collar bag.
October 2007 we purchase a Ford Explorer to be used by the fire chief or duty officer. It responded to all calls within the township and on other official fire company business. It carried a limited amount of medical supplies, dry chemical and pressurized fire extinguishers. It can also be used as a command vehicle.
In 2008 we were in the process of designing and preparing to purchase a new engine to replace the 18 year old Pierce which was our first response engine. In January of 2009 Company 36 received $729,500 in funding from the Dauphin County Gaming Advisory Board through the Casino Grant Project. The money was used to purchase a new Engine 36-2 and acquire land for the new station 36-1.
In November of 2009 West Hanover Township Supervisors voted unanimously to authorize the purchase of approximately 3 acres of land at 7624 Jonestown Road at a price of $344,000 for the new station 36-1 to replace the current station on Walnut Avenue.
In May of 2010 the new engine 36-2 was completed and delivered to the fire company. A housing ceremony was held on July 28, 2010.
On Friday, January 29, 2010 Dauphin County Commissioners voted to approve 19 grants from the Hollywood Casino Grant Program for a variety of projects in Dauphin County. West Hanover Township was fortunate to be awarded a $300,000 grant for the architectural design work and engineering of the new Station 36-1.
In March 2010 the West Hanover Township Supervisors gave the go-ahead for HRG Engineers to develop a site design plan for the new fire station on Jonestown Road at North Clover Lane. The site plan configured utility hookups, building location, parking and provide construction management services for the new station.
April 2010 plans were completed for the construction of an addition to Station #2 in Hanoverdale. Morton Building was to construct the addition which included enlarging the engine bay, adding lounge, kitchenette, new bath facilities, air conditioning and new heating system for $100,000. Excavation began in September and the project was finished in early 2011.
June 2010 a bid went out for a new Ford F-350 4x4 super cab diesel with 9ft bed to replace the present fire police vehicle. The bid by Hoffman Ford was accepted for the truck and Reading Body. The Completed unit was received and put in service in October of 2011. The old fire police vehicle was sold to New Town Fire Dept for $2,500. The old Engine 36-2, Hahn was sold to the Queen City Fire Dept in Missouri for $1,500.
In late 2010 we obtained a 1994 AM General Military 2 ½ ton vehicle through a Department of Defense grant and DCNR. During the first months of 2011 the members of the fire company repainted, modified and transferred equipment from the old vehicle at Chief Shatto’s shop. Upon completion of the project we obtained full ownership of the vehicle. This is a heavy duty brush truck that carries 600 gallon of water with a 120 gallon / minute pump, 200 feet of 2 ½ inch hose, 2100 feet of 1 ½ inch and 1400 feet of 1 inch hose, chain saws, other power equipment and many other hand tools. This unit responds to major brush and mountain fires and water rescue in flooded areas.
The new Station 36-1 (located at 7624 Jonestown Road) had its groundbreaking on April 25, 2011 and was finished in December 2011. The members of the fire company officially took occupancy of the building on December 17 when the keys to the building were turned over to the executive board members by the township manager. It consists of eight bays, 2 gear areas, gear locker, cascade system, hose washer/dryer, a state-of-the- art emergency operations center, numerous operational, executive and administrative offices, a tool room, a crew kitchen, crew dining room, a crew day room with 52 inch LED TV, live-in male and female bunk rooms with shower and locker facilities, overnight bunk and locker facilities, numerous storage rooms, executive boardroom and a meeting/training room. This station houses Engine 36-1, Rescue 36-1, Brush 36-1, Special Unit 36, the chief/duty officer vehicle and Traffic Unit 36.
In January 2012 the West Hanover Township Fire Company Transferred the deeds to the 12 acres of land and building at 628 Walnut Ave to the West Hanover Township Supervisors for $1.00. The building is to be remodeled and used as a recreation center for use by all township residents. The land is to remain as “Houck Memorial Park” and will be maintained by the township as a community park for use by township residents. The fire company was assured that the property would be available for their use at no cost for fire company functions when needed.
In July 2012 The fire company took possession of a new 2012 Ford Expedition to be used by the chief and duty officers . This vehicle is equipped similar to the Explorer that was purchased in 2007 with upgraded medical, fire suppression equipment and communication equipment. The 2007 Explorer was traded for this vehicle at Hoffman Ford.
In 66 years our fire company has made incredible progress due largely to the hard work and dedication of its members. We are still the only volunteer fire company in Dauphin
County to operate three stations and three front line pumpers. We are continuing to expand our realm of services and are planning our company’s growth to match that of the expected needs of our township and surrounding communities. In addition to fire and rescue services we also provide emergency medical services on advance life support emergencies, and cooperate with the Dauphin County Hazardous Materials Response Team.
From the very beginning of the fire company the ladies of the community were standing beside their fellow firefighters and provided many essential services. They were there during all phases of construction of the fire house and provided home cooked food for all the volunteers that provided the labor to build the firehouse that was our home for 65 years. The ladies formed their own Ladies Auxiliary in 1948 and were active and supportive of the firemen for many of our 66 years.
The following history of the Ladies Auxiliary was provided by Carilee Zimmerman, a charter member, who is still active with the fire company.
The firemen’s ladies met for the first time at the Clarion Press Building on December 10, 1948 and organized the Ladies Auxiliary of the West Hanover Fire Company No 1. There were 23 ladies at the first meeting who formed the auxiliary and by the second meeting 74 ladies had joined the auxiliary. By the end of the second year the membership grew to 102 members. The officers elected to serve the first year were:
President -------------------------- Jennie Megonnell
Vice President--------------------- Nora Murphy
Recording Secretary ------------- Helen Bower
Financial Secretary--------------- Carrilee Zimmerman
Treasurer--------------------------- Marian Carl
Chaplain---------------------------- Bertha Koons
In May 1949 the meetings were moved to Houck’s Store, and on January 10, 1950 the by-laws were adopted. During these first years the ladies were doing their share to raise funds to support the firemen. We were busy making potholders, hankies and aprons to sell along with shampoo, dishcloths and vanilla.
Plans were underway in 1950 to hold square dances as a fund raiser. The ladies made candy and pies and sold them at the movies, square dances, public auctions, firemens’ picnics, banquets, Halloween parties, ham dinners and the Fall Fair held at the Manada Hill Market. Pies were made at the Weaver home and the donated chickens for the picnics were cleaned at Dan Carl’s home. A considerable amount of money was raised through these efforts as evidenced by the following contributions they made to their fire company, such as dishes, silverware, roasters, kitchen utensils, tables and chairs. It paid all expenses to build cupboards, painting of social hall and bathrooms, installation of cupboards and floor coverings. The cost for these items alone exceeded $2,000 in 1950. Today it would cost 10 times that to replace these items.
On April 11, 1955 the first Ladies Auxiliary meeting was held in the firehouse. We continued to support the fire company with our time and fund raising activities. Some of these were bake and soup sales, banquets and flea markets.
At Christmas time we bought candy for the children so Santa had candy to give them. We used to have quite a few banquets . When bingo started in 1983 that took away a lot of banquets as the most of them were held Saturdays.
Throughout the years we have helped the fire company by donating monies for various things they needed, such as air packs, hose, fire gear, and other purchases. In fact, from 1997 to 2002 we donated $17,577 to the fire company. In 2001 we gave $1,000 to 9/11 instead of our fire company. We had not given money for a few years because we were saving for a new kitchen which was badly needed. In 2007 we had a new kitchen put in at a cost of $25,000 with the help, of course, from the fire company. As a result of limited funds we were having dinners and more functions to increase our treasury. We still strive to help the firemen any way we can. After all we are all one and it should be that way both working for the community. Auxiliary membership has really decreased in the past years due to death of members, women working outside of the home and not being able to help.
I can truly say I’m proud of our fire company and auxiliary, and also proud to be a part of both organizations For 66 years the West Hanover Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1 has proudly served the citizens of West Hanover Township. With continued of the citizens and elected township officials we pledge to continue uninterrupted services to all residents.
For informational purposes the Fire Company Officers for 2021 are:
President ------------------------------- Mike Keller
Vice President------------------------- Dave Stepler
Secretary------------------------------- Adam Wetzel
Financial Secretary ------------------ Don Poole
Treasurer------------------------------- Missy Schmidt
Fire Chief------------------------------ H. Steven Smedley
Deputy Chief-------------------------- Matt Kuntz